High school is the perfect time to begin considering teaching as a career. Kentucky’s Teaching and Learning career pathway allows students to begin exploring teaching, acquiring skills that will be helpful as an educator and in other professions while earning credit toward their college degree. Along with the Teaching and Learning career pathway, Educators Rising gives students the opportunity to further develop their professional skills.
Educators Rising is transforming how America develops aspiring teachers. Starting with high school students, Educators Rising provides passionate young people with hands-on teaching experience, sustains their interest in the profession and helps them cultivate the skills they need to be successful educators. The result is a pipeline of accomplished teachers who are positioned to make a lasting difference — not only in the lives of their students, but also in the field of teaching more broadly. The program can:
- Encourage bright, creative young people to try out teaching
- Help students develop transferable skills through leadership development and student teaching experiences
- Increase diversity in the local teacher workforce
- Create career ladders for local teachers and give them opportunities to lead without leaving the classroom
Learn more about how you can advance great teaching at www.educatorsrising.org.
The Office of Educator Licensure and Effectiveness and the Office of Career and Technical Education present Kentucky high schools with an education career pathway to support the recruitment of a diverse and effective educator workforce, starting with our own high school students.
Focused on general theory and practice of learning and teaching, basic principles of educational psychology, art of teaching, planning and administration of educational activities, school safety and health issues, and social foundations of education, the pathway is designed to:
- Provide a balance of scholarly and clinical experiences and emphasize reflective practice
- Create authentic experiences that engage students in effective educator practices
- Create knowledge, skills and dispositions of effective educators
- Engage rising educators as participants in the statewide community of educators
Learn more about the Teaching and Learning Career Pathway at https://education.ky.gov/teachers/Pages/Teaching-and-Learning-Career-Pathway.aspx
Office of Educator Licensure and Effectiveness
(502) 564-1479, ext. 4505